Friday, September 11, 2009

2 Nephi 33

6 I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul from hell.

Nephi's phrase should be for everyone -- I glory in my Jesus. He is the Savior of all mankind, but He is my Savior. The price He paid is personal for me. That connection is an essential part of redemption. The atonement can only be real to me if I can feel His love in a very personal way. Sectarian notions of the nature of God work against that intensely personal feeling. The idea that God is unknowable makes Him distant. That's why I am a Latter-day Saint. What Joseph Smith declared is that every individual can know God. When God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith, they demonstrated that even a humble farm boy could talk to God. God answers the humblest prayer. Nephi had this great confidence and faith:

3 ....I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.

God hears and answers my prayers, too. The children's song says, "Jesus loves me, this I know." I know that not just because the Bible tells me so, but I know that through my own personal experience as I have felt His presence and received answers to my prayers. He has comforted me in times of trouble. My spirit has been lifted up when my mind and heart have been flooded with light. He is my Savior and redeemer. He suffered for me. I glory in my Jesus.

No comments: