Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Enos

One chapter, but there is so much to be said about this one chapter. I'll write about two thoughts.

First thought -
Interesting words appear here that are seldom in the scriptures. Wrestle and forms of it appear just 7 times in all of the Standard Works of the Church. Here Enos talks about the wrestle that he had before God. Effort is required if we want to know God. We have to extend ourselves to Him. "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." (D&C 88:63)

Phrases in Enos that indicate the work needed are:
  • wrestle which I had before God
  • my soul hungered
  • I cried unto him in mighty prayer
  • all the day long did I cry unto him
  • raise my voice high
  • pour out my whole soul unto God
  • struggling in the spirit
  • with many long strugglings
  • prayed and labored with all diligence
  • cried unto him continually

In addition to this work in the spirit through prayer, Enos labored physically. He got up off of his knees and worked. Summing up he said,

26 And I saw that I must soon go down to my grave, having been wrought upon by the power of God that I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ. And I have declared it in all my days, and have rejoiced in it above that of the world.

A second thought -

Enos wrote that "the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart. And my soul hungered" (v. 3, 4) His father Jacob spoke "often" about gospel truths. We should bear our testimonies and share our love for the Savior often with our children. I read a short piece in a newspaper. A woman wrote about taking her 4 young children to a church meeting. Her husband was singing in the choir, so she sat with the children alone. The kids were busy with quiet books and paper and crayons. A young woman was talking about ways to strengthen a marriage. At one point she said that a strong marriage would include "warm, affectionate sex." The mother noticed that all 4 of her children were staring at her. The oldest leaned over and whispered, "Mom, she said sex."

Our children hear what we say. They listen when we teach the truth. They listen even when we think they are not. And they perceive what is important to us and learn to value those same things. The things that we teach through word and example can sink deep in their hearts to emerge at a time when they really need God and can serve to keep them on the narrow way or bring them back to it.

Jacob also focused on "the joy of the saints." The gospel should make us happy. It is a source of joy. After all, at Christmas we sing "Joy to the world, the Lord is come." Being a true disciple of Christ is about keeping commandments, but it is also about loving life and others. It is about peace, and joy, and happiness. Joseph Smith taught that "happiness is the object and design of our existence." So I resolve to speak often of eternal life and the joy of living the gospel.

2 comments:

stephanie from texas said...

it is amazing how people in pur times not only shirk work but take it farther by feeling entitled that everything must be handed to them. who said that only things that are easy or feel good should be the goal? i am thankful that you have chosen to do some of your work through this blog. i get an enormous boost...it has become part of my daily scripture study.
thanks
i love you both

Unknown said...

We just told the Enos story yesterday for FHE. Wesley held the pic and repeated for me as I helped him say the words. It was special night because the Spirit was strong and then Wesley, Ayla and Dave shared their testimonies. I was proud of them. I thought it was cool that we did this and then you made this post today. I guess, I'm doing something right!