Tuesday, August 18, 2009

2 Nephi 13

I think I give up on Xanga. It's commercial and I don't want to subject everyone to advertisements. And this blog already exists. So, why not use this?

9 The show of their countenance doth witness against them, and doth declare their sin to be even as Sodom, and they cannot hide it. Wo unto their souls, for they have rewarded evil unto themselves!

Our face and especially our eyes are windows to our souls. I can recall occasions when I served as bishop that I would look into someone's eyes and see through the spirit the trouble in their soul. Our countenance makes apparent our struggle with sin or our joy in righteousness. Some work hard to hide their sins and put on a face for the world when they are secretly dark and their souls are not at rest. In my experience, those troubles are eventually manifest. We can all think of political figures in our day who had a public face of virtue but turned out to have a perverted secret life that ended up coming to the surface and ruining their own life and the lives of their family.

We may be able to hide our secrets for a time from the world and even from our family and friends -- maybe even for years -- but we can never hide from ourselves or from the Lord.

1 comment:

RACHEL said...

you are so right dad.