Sunday, August 30, 2009

2 Nephi 23

22 . . . I will be merciful unto my people, but the wicked shall perish.

Chapter 23 describes the destruction of Babylon which is a type of the destruction of the world in the last days. Those who put their trust in money, military power, fame, or any other worldly thing will be left desolate in the end, like the ruined city of Babylon. Babylon was one of the great cities of the ancient world and was the seat of power of a great empire. Those proud people called the city Babylon, which meant "gateway of the gods." But by 141 BC, the city was left desolate for centuries to be inhabited by the creatures of the desert. In our lives, if we pursue the things of the world, in the end we will be left desolate like this great city -- empty and hollow.

I'm grateful that God is merciful to His people. I hope for His mercy in my life, especially in the trying days to come.

No comments: