Friday, August 28, 2009

2 Nephi 22



2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation.
3 Therefore, with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

A dear friend once said in an address at a stake conference, "You cannot dip water from an empty well." The thirst for truth and meaning and peace in life can only be quenched by the living water offered by the Master.
Sometimes we look for relief in the wrong places. Jeremiah said,

13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.
(Jer. 2)

Not only do we walk away from the source of living water, we build our own wells using the feeble knowledge we have. Some people look for peace of mind in pop psychology, new age notions, or some other popular idea. Picture the futility of trying to accumulate life-giving water in a container that leaks out more quickly than we can fill it.
When Jesus spoke to the Samaritan woman at the well, he told her of water that she could drink and she would never thirst again. That probably sounded wonderful to someone who had the daily burden of carrying heavy jars or pots from a community well. When she asked where he would get this living water when he had no way to draw it from the well, he answered

13 . . .Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
(John 4)
Ezekiel described this same thing with the image of lush greenery given life in the desert by "waters to swim in, a river that could not be passed over." (Ezekiel 47:5) Those same waters not only sustain life in the desert, they run on and heal the waters of the dead sea. In the same way, the living water that flows from the Savior not only sustains us in a world barren of spirit but it can heal the broken heart and bring the lost soul back to life.

1 comment:

stephanie from texas said...

During a conversation with the boys about seminary I told them the same thing...not as eloquently as you I must say. You have always brought things to light that are bubbling below my surface. Thanks for that! I miss you guys.