Monday, November 9, 2009

Alma 10

Amulek was Alma's first convert in the city of Ammonihah and became his close friend. They taught together and endured persecution together. Amulek was a man of means and reputation, all of which he apparently sacrificed for the sake of the truth. His testimony begins with what I have observed in myself and others.

5 . . . I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people.
6 Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart

How many times has the Lord called to us, but we refused to hear? We have felt some gentle nudge from the Holy Spirit, but it was to do something hard, and we dismissed the inspiration or rationalized it away.
 
How many things have we really known but have pretended to ourselves not to know because admitting that we know means that we have to act or be a hypocrite? This subtle rebellion is a hard thing to acknowledge, and it is even more difficult to overcome. The cure is to open our hearts to God. As we face our own shortcomings honestly and admit them, we can ask for and receive his help to conquer them.

No comments: