Saturday, November 21, 2009

Alma 21

When Aaron and his brethren went to the city the Lamanites called Jerusalem, they tried to teach those who would listen, including the Amalekites and Amulonites. They taught faith and repentance, just like they had elsewhere. The people said the following:

6 Thou also sayest, except we repent we shall perish. How knowest thou the thought and intent of our hearts? How knowest thou that we have cause to repent? How knowest thou that we are not a righteous people? Behold, we have built sanctuaries, and we do assemble ourselves together to worship God. We do believe that God will save all men.

In our day, there are many who "build sanctuaries" and attend church, but their lives are for show. Jesus reserved his harshest condemnation for the hypocrites. Now, I know that I am sometimes a hypocrite, too. I hope that I can live a life of greater integrity.

Janet and I went to a Switchfoot concert with my brother last night. They didn't perform this particular song, but the lyrics express the contempt the Lord has for "the show."

Instead of a Show (by Jon Foreman)
I hate all your show and pretense
The hypocrisy of your praise
The hypocrisy of your festivals
I hate all your show
Away with your noisy worship
Away with your noisy hymns
I stomp on my ears when you're singing 'em
I hate all your show

Instead let there be a flood of justice
An endless procession of righteous living, living
Instead let there be a flood of justice
Instead of a show

No comments: