- No man can know of things to come (v. 13)
- You just believe because you accept the "foolish traditions" of your fathers (v. 14)
- You can't know things that you can't see (v. 15)
- You're just worked up and emotional - the "effect of a frenzied mind" (v. 16)
- You've lost your senses altogether - "this derangement of your minds" (v. 16)
- Everyone fares in this life according to his own abilities - how he manages, uses his "genius," and uses his strength - what some people might term social Darwinism (v. 17)
- Whatever a person does in this life is "no crime" (v. 17)
- When a person is dead, that's the end of it (v. 18)
- Religion and morality are essentially slavery and are a way for those in authority to control us (v. 23)
Alma's response teaches us how to respond to similar assaults on the truth.
40 And now what evidence have ye that there is no aGod, or that Christ cometh not? I say unto you that ye have none, save it be your word only.
41 But, behold, I have all things as a atestimony that these things are true; and ye also have all things as a testimony unto you that they are true; and will ye deny them?
Korihor asked for some miracle to be performed as proof of Alma's position.
44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of aall these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the bearth, and call things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its dmotion, yea, and also all the eplanets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.
Everything testifies that there is a God. I know He lives.