Friday, December 4, 2009

Alma 36

17 And it came to pass that as I was thus aracked with torment, while I was bharrowed up by the cmemory of my many sins, behold, I dremembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.


Alma's account of his conversion to his son Helaman gives me hope on a number of levels. In verse 17, Alma says that when he was miserable and swallowed up in sin, he remembered the words of his father regarding the Savior and His atonement. We do the best we can to testify and teach those we love, and sometimes they appear to ignore what we believe and choose their own path. Sometimes they rebel against things that are good and right and lead lives of dissipation and sin. We can continue to pray for them and love them and recall the example of Alma the Younger who remembered "to have heard." And that example gives me hope that the day will come for those I love that their hearts will be filled as Alma's was.


20 And oh, what ajoy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!

No comments: