Sunday, December 13, 2009

Alma 42

In my opinion, this chapter in the Book of Mormon may declare the atonement of Jesus Christ better than any passage in all of scripture. Alma clearly explained the principles of justice and mercy and the role of the Savior in making mercy and forgiveness possible on condition of repentance. 


  22 But there is a law given, and a apunishment affixed, and a brepentance granted; which repentance, mercy claimeth; otherwise, justice claimeth the creature and executeth the claw, and the law inflicteth the punishment; if not so, the works of justice would be destroyed, and God would cease to be God.

  23 But God ceaseth not to be God, and amercy claimeth the penitent, and mercy cometh because of the batonement; and the atonement bringeth to pass thecresurrection of the dead; and the dresurrection of the dead bringeth eback men into the presence of God; and thus they are restored into his presence, to befjudged according to their works, according to the law and justice.

  24 For behold, justice exerciseth all his demands, and also amercy claimeth all which is her own; and thus, none but the truly penitent are saved.

  25 What, do ye suppose that amercy can rob bjustice? I say unto you, Nay; not one whit. If so, God would cease to be God.

I feel my Savior's love when I read these things. He loved me enough to suffer and die for me so that he could answer the demands of justice and pay the price for my sins if I would only love him and do my best to keep his commandments. I do love him and I'm trying to keep his commandments and be a true disciple. I know he has done his part. I pray I can do mine.

  15 And now, the plan of mercy could not be brought about except an atonement should be made; therefore God himself aatoneth for the sins of the world, to bring about the plan of bmercy, to appease the demands of cjustice, that God might be a dperfect, just God, and a emerciful God also.

No comments: