Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Alma 45

After great tribulation in their war with the Lamanites, the Nephites "were exceedingly rejoiced, because the Lord had again delivered them out of the hands of their enemies; therefore they gave thanks unto the Lord their God; yea, and they did fast much and pray much, and they did worship God with exceedingly great joy."

I like the idea of worshipping God with "exceedingly great joy." I think sometimes Latter-day Saints are a somber people. Of course partaking of the emblems of the Saviors flesh and blood is a sacred ordinance, and there should be great reverence during that holy time. I'm talking more about our general demeanor. The gospel of Jesus Christ is good news. His promise to us through his atoning sacrifice is happiness and peace in this life and eternal life in the life to come. That should fill our souls with joy, and that joy should be manifest to others as our witness of the Savior's love for all men and women.

Filling our hearts with joy and gratitude for Jesus and his love for us helps us be humble. Unfortunately, when we are so richly blessed and fail to acknowledge his hand in our lives, we can lose the light and joy.


23  And now it came to pass that after Helaman and his brethren had appointed priests and teachers over the churches that there arose a dissension among them, and they would not give heed to the words of Helaman and his brethren;
24  But they grew proud, being lifted up in their hearts, because of their exceedingly great riches; therefore they grew rich in their own eyes, and would not give heed to their words, to walk uprightly before God.

I love the Lord. I know that he lives. I feel his presence often in my prayers. I want to pattern my life after his teachings and draw near to him so that I have that presence in greater abundance, and have joy.

No comments: