Wednesday, February 3, 2010

3 Nephi 11

There is so much to say about this chapter that I can't include it all here.

I notice that the people were gathered at the temple in the land Bountiful when the Savior of the world appeared to them. The temple is a place for Christ to be revealed to every believing heart. I love going to the temple and seeing the words "Holiness to the Lord, The House of the Lord" above the door.


5 And again the third time they did hear the voice, and did open their ears to hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound thereof; and they did look steadfastly towards heaven, from whence the sound came.

The Holy Spirit spoke to the people, but they did not understand until they listened with their hearts and lifted their eyes from the mundane and worldly and focused on heaven. We have to lift our thoughts and focus our attention on the divine if we hope to hear the voice of the Lord.

15 And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and adid feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come.

The people had a direct personal experience and went "one by one." Our experience coming to know the Savior is individual and personal. We only come to know Him "one by one."

29 For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.
30 Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away.


There are those who want to take issue with the doctrine or with latter-day saints, but there is no room for contention in the hearts of those who truly believe. We can have honest dialog with those who oppose the truth, but when we argue or fight with others, the Spirit departs. In my experience, arguing never converts, and trashing someone else's faith never leads them to Christ.

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.
36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.


I have felt this "fire" of the Holy Ghost. I know there is a God and that Jesus Christ lives and is my Savior - my Redeemer.

No comments: