Wednesday, February 10, 2010

3 Nephi 18

3 And when the Disciples had come with bread and wine, he took of the bread and brake and blessed it; and he gave unto the Disciples and commanded that they should eat.
4 And when they had eaten and were filled, he commanded that they should give unto the multitude.


We follow this same pattern in the church today. The priesthood holders pass the sacrament to the presiding officer first and then to the congregation. 

6 And this shall ye always observe to do, even as I have done, even as I have broken bread and blessed it and given it unto you.
7 And this shall ye do in remembrance of my body, which I have shown unto you. And it shall be a testimony unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.


The weekly ordinance of the sacrament reminds us of Him. We remember His sacrifice and commit anew to follow Him and keep His commandments. His promise that we can always have His Spirit to be with us. I trust in that promise. I love the simple symbolism of the sacrament.

4. The bread and water represent
His sacrifice for sin;
Ye Saints, partake and testify
Ye do remember him.


31243, Hymns, We’ll Sing All Hail to Jesus’ Name, no. 182
Text: Richard Alldridge, 1815–1896
Music: Joseph Coslett, 1850–1910


18 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, ye must watch and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; for Satan desireth to have you, that he may sift you as wheat.
19 Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name;
20 And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.
21 Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed.


I believe in the power of prayer. It connects us with the Divine. It softens hearts and opens our minds to the spirit of revelation. It heals our hearts and opens our souls not just to God but to others. It's hard to kneel together as a family and pray and not feel love for one another. And I believe that as we invite the Spirit into our lives through prayer, we protect ourselves and our families from temptation that would lead some to misery.

No comments: